Welcome to the updated Karaoke Info Forum!

New startup

You may post anything and everything to do with karaoke in this category. However, the Karaoke Forum has many other forums below. So, please ensure you post in the correct one.
silverhairedbee
Chatty
Chatty

New startup

I am planning to start a new Karaoke business with a live act included.

So a reasonable PA system will already be in place.

I am assuming I can run the Karaoke from an iPad.

My questions are:

Is it now normal practice to stream via an internet connection or is it considered a necessity to have downloaded content.

I would like to control the iPad remotely from a second iPad
For running a play list and stopping and starting songs.
Do many of the software solutions enable you to do this.

I would also like to print the catalogue for customers to select their songs.

I have seen Karafun do largely fulfill the above but their professional package seems a little expensive to me at £39 a week.
Has anyone found any other alternatives that fulfill the above,

Thank you any replies in advance,

Robbie

Margy
Investing
Investing

Re: New startup

I wouldn't pay that, in fact I just wouldn't pay anything!
Looks like you are after an easy life :thumbup:

The thing is, all this technology can be good when it works but when it fails you are going to feel it.
Like the internet for example, can you guarantee its always going to be reliable?
You will never beat a disc based system for quality.
Also, I enjoy the manual selection of tracks and finding the right disc etc.
Good luck with your new venture, but my advice would be keep your money in your pocket.
silverhairedbee
Chatty
Chatty

Hi Margy,

Thank you for your reply.

I am quite attracted to a disk based system.

What are the costs for the disks and what is the best hardware to run them on,

Kindly,

Robbie
Val
Disc Jockey
Disc Jockey

Margy wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:48 am I wouldn't pay that, in fact I just wouldn't pay anything!
^ This.

PC systems are good for convenience but there are a few problems with copyright etc.
This article springs to mind - https://www.karaokeshack.com/chartbuste ... istration/
I have to say though that not many people in the UK are taking any notice of it ;)
But there might be problems one day.
There may be other problems associated with other labels, I just don't know.
Karaoke is the spice of life.
Wolfy
Karaoke Shacker
Karaoke Shacker

Hi, silverhairedbee, I saw this post last night but I was too tired to reply.
There was a really cool article on the blogs which might have helped you but after checking this morning I can't find it.
I will get back if I find it.

In my opinion, the most important thing to concentrate on are the speakers, if you are providing your own that is.
Not all speakers sound the same and many can be flat as a f*rt.
Make sure they are powerful enough and sound good.
The rest of your gear is not as important really but obviously you get what you pay for.

The thing is that when you do karaoke, inevitably drink is involved, so, after a short while the sound quality becomes less important because people will just want a song.
So basically you could set up pretty cheaply depending on what you have planned but I would still place emphasis on the speakers.
I have known many, many people (karaoke singers) over the years to leave a karaoke venue because the sound 'wasn't right'.
When we go out for karaoke, we do the same, we know what places to avoid.

The idea when you gig is to pack in as many people as possible to your gig and build up a reputation - it suits the venue and you!

If you are going for a laptop based system, they are fine, but again, if the quality of sound is important, they will never match the original discs.
So, here's the problem - if you have a laptop full of karaoke tracks, where will you get them from?
Downloading from the current karaoke makers can be expensive but they are very good to grab the odd track that's for sure, I buy the odd one from time to time.
However, I use discs so I will buy about 18 in one go then burn to a disc and add to my song book.

I have seen many people offer a hard drive packed with karaoke tracks on the internet for as low as £50 but that is an illegal transaction.
You simply can't buy someone else's hard drive because you must own the original discs or tracks - then have a copy on your hard drive.
With this in mind, it makes sense to own the originals, then rip them to the hard drive.
But, this is time consuming to say the least :lol:
Saying that, the laptop is a great way to host a karaoke show but it does have its downfalls:

1) The sound is never going to match a disc-based system (with the right speakers).
2) You are adding an extra bit of technology which can fail.
3) If you don't own the original karaoke track, even just one (either legally downloaded or original disc) then it will be an illegal gig.

It might be helpful if you tell us where you are at with the gear you have at the moment.
Karaoke is for life - not just for Christmas :mrgreen:
silverhairedbee
Chatty
Chatty

Hi Wolfy,

Thank you for your lengthy reply.

I do have a high quality PA system which I have previously used for live music. This is a 1K system out front and 500W
Monitor system which I intent to use to give performers the best sound quality. Both will be entirely mixable front end
and monitors.

I can see Karafun offer a comprehensive library and I assume the professional subscriptions will allay the legal requirements.
It also appears the Karafun professional options allow the catalogue to be downloaded. The problem with all this of course is price.

However once a certain threshold regarding number of gigs per month is reached the costs are not so prohibitive, especially if a premium can be charged for a decent sound and large library of sounds. Not only that I intend to offer a live performance of guitar and vocal between the Karaoke and hope this will make the proposition attractive to venues.

So unless I have read this wrong would a service such as Karafun meet my needs,

Thank you all for your thoughts,

Kindly,

Robbie
Wolfy
Karaoke Shacker
Karaoke Shacker

silverhairedbee wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:31 am I do have a high quality PA system which I have previously used for live music.
Cool, but what about the speakers?
silverhairedbee wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:31 am
So unless I have read this wrong would a service such as Karafun meet my needs,
Absolutely, it will complement what you are planning to do.
I wouldn't use it myself because I prefer to be totally independent.
But you have a vision of the sort of show you wish to do and that would be ideal for you.
I have never seen karaoke with live interludes, it might work, but in my opinion most people visit a karaoke gig to sing themselves.
It probably depends on the area you operate and the clientele.
Most people want to sing and they hate a big rotation to start with.
I found that getting them up quickly works better.

The problem I see with Karafun is that you are tied to their tracks - good or bad and the monthly cost.
I know one gig that does it this way and it works well for them but I would rather pack in if I had to use an online service :typing:
Being independent means you have more control.

This is probably not the answer you are looking for as you sound like you have made your mind up.
I have checked their website and some of their tracks do sound good but that is with my small PC speakers and anything sounds good on them :lol:
The best thing is you are not tied into a contract with them, so you can try it and if you feel it isn't working, you can always go back to the traditional methods.

Subscriptions are around £40 a week yeah, that is £480 a year - for one year's subscription you can get a second-hand set up complete with discs and then build up from there.
I hope you don't think I am a Luddite with the new technology :lol:
silverhairedbee
Chatty
Chatty

Hi Wolfy,

Thank you for your reply again.

Yes the PA includes speakers, powered separately as well as a as a pair of speakers for monitors. Both controllable separately.
I do have a pair of sub bass bins too which would make it
a 3K System but no amp to go with it at the moment.

I appreciate your advice not tying up to one system.

Will keep re-searching,

Thank you,

Robbie
Benny
Karaoke Shacker
Karaoke Shacker

Who are Karafun partners? I mean where do they get their tracks from? I can't see them using Zoom or Sunfly but I might be wrong.
Wolfy
Karaoke Shacker
Karaoke Shacker

silverhairedbee wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:32 pm
Yes the PA includes speakers, powered separately as well as a as a pair of speakers for monitors. Both controllable separately.
What are the model numbers?