Welcome to the updated Karaoke Info Forum!

Using fold back/monitors

You may post anything and everything to do with karaoke in this category. However, the Karaoke Forum has many other forums below. So, please ensure you post in the correct one.
silverhairedbee
Chatty
Chatty

Using fold back/monitors

Thank you for all the interest from my previous post regarding starting up. It does appear that many Karaoke businesses come from a DJ background and therefore unlikely to use fold back monitors. My question is how many members here use fold back monitors as from my live musical experience they are essential to avoid feedback problems if playing above a certain volume. Also the experience for the singer is much enhanced when they can hear themselves clearly.

Secondly I need to buy a power amp for my monitor speakers 2 x 250w 8ohm although I may run the speakers in series which will drop the impedance to 4ohm and bridge the amp.
Are any of the cheap power amps in the sub £120 suitable for this,

Many thanks in advance for any replies,

Robbie

Wolfy
Karaoke Shacker
Karaoke Shacker

Re: Using fold back/monitors

I don't use monitors at all :o
Also, I think the Skytec amps are the cheapest but I wouldn't buy new so if I was buying again I would go for some second-hand mid range amps.
Karaoke is for life - not just for Christmas :mrgreen:
Benny
Karaoke Shacker
Karaoke Shacker

Wolfy wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:50 am
I think the Skytec amps are the cheapest
They are and now the sales are on they don't have discount these :thumbup:
Val
Disc Jockey
Disc Jockey

Back in the day I would use fold backs but about 20 years ago I found they were just an unnecessary luxury.
Them days are long, long gone.
Karaoke is the spice of life.
Margy
Investing
Investing

I often visit other karaoke venues when I an not gigging. I like to have a nose around and see what's new and how others are doing their shows. In all my travels, I can't recall seeing anyone use monitors. I certainly don't so sorry I can't help.
DJ Fox
Karaoke Shacker
Karaoke Shacker

Wolfy wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:50 am Also, I think the Skytec amps are the cheapest but I wouldn't buy new so if I was buying again I would go for some second-hand mid range amps.
The cheapest will do for monitors.
I wouldn't use monitors, never have done.
Kelsy
Karaoke Shacker
Karaoke Shacker

silverhairedbee wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:35 am Are any of the cheap power amps in the sub £120 suitable for this
I can't think of any newer models but for an amp for monitors, I suggest getting a cheap one from ebay. Amps for monitor speakers are not as important as your other gear.
silverhairedbee
Chatty
Chatty

I am amazed that few Karaoke setups don't use monitors.

So you are enjoying a busy evening with a lot of back ground noise and because your speakers have to be set back behind the microphone so
that the singers can hear themselves you become extremely prone to feedback as you try to get the whole system heard properly
over the noise out front. Id that not a common problem or are solutions found some other way,

kindly,

Robbie
Val
Disc Jockey
Disc Jockey

silverhairedbee wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:51 pm I am amazed that few Karaoke setups don't use monitors.

So you are enjoying a busy evening with a lot of back ground noise and because your speakers have to be set back behind the microphone so
that the singers can hear themselves you become extremely prone to feedback as you try to get the whole system heard properly
over the noise out front. Id that not a common problem or are solutions found some other way,

kindly,

Robbie
I never use the monitors and only get feed back on the odd occasion but we quickly rectify that.
Have you done any testing of your gear, Robbie?
Karaoke is the spice of life.
silverhairedbee
Chatty
Chatty

Hi Val

Thank you for your interest and your question about testing.

I have had my PA system a number of years for live music use. I have also run CD and karaoke music through it. The system I have includes 2 x 18 Bass bins but I no longer
have the space to carry them. I may have to add a bass speaker later if I can't get that bottom end although tests so far seem to sound OK,

Thank you,

Robbie