Welcome to the updated Karaoke Info Forum!

CDG Compatible Drives For Burning Karaoke Discs

This forum is all about karaoke hardware and karaoke software, of course. So, if you have an issue with your gear or if you need to know more information, then use this section. Obviously, if you can help others, all the better.
Super Fly
Singer
Singer

I have a decent collection of karaoke discs that I kept when I sold all my other karaoke gear. I do get the odd karaoke disc now and again and I only want to back these up and use the copies. I always looked after my CD's and CDG's properly but its even more important to back them up now since I buy mainly used karaoke discs and some of these are well used and scratched.

I am looking for any CD/DVD drives that are suitable for burning karaoke discs. Not all CD drives are compatible as we know, but there does not appear to be any current information to help out. I do have a 10 year old Plextor PX-716A that will do a perfect job but I am in need of another drive in case this breaks down.

I am finding many conflicting articles so I am hoping people can share their experiences. If anyone has a recommendation I would be grateful, even more so if they have the specs that show they are compatible drives.

I would still buy an older model like the Plextor I have but if there are any brand new models that are available to burn CDG's this would be even better. I also would prefer the model to be SATA connections too.

Give me some beer
ctlw83
Singer
Singer

Re: CDG Compatible Drives For Burning Karaoke Discs

I think all you really need to do in this case is to rip the original disc to an ISO using something like DVD Decrypter and then burn the ISO to a new CD/DVD. It shouldn't be an issue because it is a 1 to 1 copy of the data itself.
Super Fly
Singer
Singer

I never thought of that. So would I be able to do this using and CD/DVD drive providing I use suitable software?
Give me some beer
James
Disc Jockey
Disc Jockey

I can't say if the above method is what you specifically want nor could I say if it would work. If you wanted a drive for ripping karaoke discs then simply copying the discs or CDG's would be no help. If you are ripping the CDG's then you would need a proper drive for that purpose.

I have ripped a karaoke disc in the past and burned it to a CD to keep the original perfect. I have not done this in a while now.
Jacky
Site Admin
Site Admin

We have always had people asking about which were the karaoke compatible drives so we have now given the subject special priority. There is now a full page been devoted to the subject in the main blogs.

Please continue to comment in the forum about the subject too because there's bound to be loads more to discuss.
Tom Thumb
Investing
Investing

They all seem like the old drives and presumably for old operating systems.
Is there any new CD/DVD drives that rip and burn karaoke?
I would prefer a new one rather than something that could be up to 15 years old.
Jacky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tom Thumb wrote:They all seem like the old drives and presumably for old operating systems.
Is there any new CD/DVD drives that rip and burn karaoke?
I would prefer a new one rather than something that could be up to 15 years old.
I have no idea of the new ones but if the old ones still work why knock them?
Follow the guide on the main blogs and I am sure they will tell you how to check if a CD burner is compatible.
Its in the specs ... something like whether it can write text.