Welcome to the updated Karaoke Info Forum!

Atten Karma users

This forum is all about karaoke hardware and karaoke software, of course. So, if you have an issue with your gear or if you need to know more information, then use this section. Obviously, if you can help others, all the better.
vbevans
Chatty
Chatty

Atten Karma users

I am experiencing problems with the latest version of Karma (2020.1.15). Bob Latshaw says I'm nuts and refuses to provide support. Just wondering what your experience is.

Specifically, I am unable to import my DJ music collection, the file names of which all follow the [title] - [artist] naming convention. The program throws an unhandled exception when I run "update database". Anybody else see this problem?

ps: if you are not a user, but have the time and would like to contribute to the discussion, you can download and install Karma in trial mode. I believe you will find it works as described. Thanks for your time.

Wolfy
Karaoke Shacker
Karaoke Shacker

Re: Atten Karma users

Well first off, have you used a previous version of Karma?
If so and it was fine just go back to it.

The thing with Karma is that it only allows two dashes (within spaces) like so: SF001-01 - Paula Abdul - Straight Up.
If there's any other dashes just make sure they have not got spaces.

I am not sure if you need three sections ie Disc Number, Artist and Title but you probably do.
You are saying you have them in [title] - [artist] naming convention so perhaps you need to number them.

Karma is a great program although I don't use it now but I am surprised the owner is not helping out, particularly if it's a new version.
I am not going to instal the program so if I have helped - good.
If not, you are going to have to elaborate on your problem.
Karaoke is for life - not just for Christmas :mrgreen:
vbevans
Chatty
Chatty

I appreciate your reply and your well meaning suggestions. However, what I'm really hoping to accomplish is identifying fellow users (or testers) who have experienced the same or similar problems in the hopes of banding together to put pressure on Latshaw to fix the problem. I currently use a 2013 version of Karma, specifically the last release before Latshaw transitioned from XML data to Microsoft Access. Since that transition, every new release (currently at 2020.1.15) have had issues in the media import routines, and Bob has consistently refused to address them; usually stating, "There's nothing wrong with my code." At the very least what's wrong with the code is there are no error handling routines. If Karma encounters an error, it crashes. Certainly not the kind of behavior you want to manifest in the middle of a show.

To specifically address your comments regarding the naming conventions, I understand quite well the use of the space, dash, space separator. My karaoke titles import correctly using the [title] - [artist] - [diskID] format. In the current instance, what I am importing is fill music, and my files are named with the title of the song followed by the separator followed by the artist's name; a convention that I believe many would be inclined to use. I have also tried reversing, ie [artist] - [title], but this yields the same error. I have also verified by trial that I can add a separator and the album title (or really any text) and then use the [title] - [artist] - [diskID] format, and the import functions correctly. It's really more the principle of the matter. I'm a paying customer. Why would I want to rename thousands of files just because the creator of the software chooses to deny the problem exists and fix it?

Yes, I can continue to use the older version, but it would be nice to avail myself of some of the new features. Yes, I could switch to a different product, but I've looked at several of the current offerings, and I have not yet found a product that I am comfortable with.

So I reiterate my initial call, if you are a user of Karma, or are willing to just test it for yourself, I would very much like to hear from you. Thanks for your time.
Val
Disc Jockey
Disc Jockey

vbevans wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:46 pm I could switch to a different product, but I've looked at several of the current offerings, and I have not yet found a product that I am comfortable with.
I love Karma and have an old version installed which I am quite happy with.
I don't want to reinstall the system or upgrade as mine just works perfectly.

Good luck with this one and I hope everything looks good.
Hopefully someone will come along and instal the new version as a trial.
It seems clear to me that you know you have a problem only to have little help from the main man himself, pretty shameful.
Karaoke is the spice of life.
Karaosoft
n00b
n00b

I do provide support, but you are indeed nuts. Can't help the delusional. Sorry.
vbevans
Chatty
Chatty

Bob, I have no interest in a war of words with you. The problem I have described is real and is easily provable by anyone willing to download and install Karma 2020.1.15. So far in my experience, your "support" consists mostly of hurling insults at your customers. What a shame, as Karma is an otherwise excellent program.
Val
Disc Jockey
Disc Jockey

vbevans wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:46 pm Karma is an otherwise excellent program.
Indeed, it is excellent.
Offhand I don't think I know anything that could touch it.
I am still using discs though and over the past year or maybe a little longer almost everything I do involves the discs.
Karaoke is the spice of life.
Slinky
Global moderator
Global moderator

Never had any problem with Karma.
It is sensitive to naming but get that right and Karma is the bees knees for karaoke without a doubt :thumbup:
Karaoke is my life.
Margy
Investing
Investing

Karma is king :cheers:
vbevans
Chatty
Chatty

Slinky wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:52 pm It is sensitive to naming
Close parallel to my point. What version are you using? Have you tried 2020.1.15? Do you use a [title] - [artist] naming format? If not would you be willing to test it and share your results? Blanket statements can cover a multitude of errors; I'm seeking some hard data. Even a temporary folder with a few files would serve to prove or disprove my assertions. Thanks.