Welcome to the updated Karaoke Info Forum!

Karaoke Licences To Be Refused By The Stars And Songs Banned

You may post anything and everything to do with karaoke in this category. However, the Karaoke Forum has many other forums below. So, please ensure you post in the correct one.
Benny
Karaoke Shacker
Karaoke Shacker

Re: Karaoke Licences To Be Refused By The Stars And Songs Banned

Margy wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:37 am
DJ Fox wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:22 pm

Yip, and the pure fact that they have all come together means they were prompted by some organisation.
Cartel?
Definitely a definition of a cartel.

Boom Box
Singer
Singer

I was trying to think of that word cartel at the time but my brain wasn't working. Yip, if they all band together to try and extract more money from people then yes it is a karaoke cartel without any shadow of a doubt.
ctlw83
Singer
Singer

The way the original article reads, these actions are for NEW licenses. This means that any existing purchase that was licensed would be unaffected, at least, that is what the article implies. So, for anyone who has Sound Choice, Chartbusters, DK, Zoom, Party Tyme, or Sunfly sets/discs with the music already, they can still keep using it. Those royalties have been long paid or, sued and paid in litigation.

That being said, I agree that it seems like the music industry is starting to work like a cartel. They just want to control the supply, demand, and costs. I wonder if this extends to wedding singers and cover bands too.

Either way, the artists are only shooting themselves in their feet. There is a reason why movie companies like Lucasfilm (Disney) have long allowed fans to dress up in costume and make derivative art. Granted, that is always in a non-profit mode but, simply put, allowing people to "live" the films and create within that space does nothing but BOLSTER the brand they are doing it for. Karaoke does the same. How many times have people discovered new music because of other karaoke singers and then purchased that music as a result? I'm sure the number is in the upper thousands.

So, in short, fine, restrict others from singing your songs in Karaoke sessions. Just don't expect the positive side of it either.
Margy
Investing
Investing

ctlw83 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:21 pm The way the original article reads, these actions are for NEW licenses.
I would think this is correct.
ctlw83 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:21 pm So, in short, fine, restrict others from singing your songs in Karaoke sessions. Just don't expect the positive side of it either.
Couldn't have put it better myself.